Seven weeks. Seven student teachers. Follow us (Drew, Julia, Chris, Brittani, Mary Ellen, Katie, and Sara) on our journey from Minnesota to Southern Spain, where we will complete our second student teaching assignment!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A culture within a culture

All ready for school on the first day!
            It has only been four days since we got to Spain and only just begun to dip our toes into the Spanish culture. Today was our first day at SIS, a school founded by British educators, and instead of adjusting to the new language, food, and customs of Spain, I felt like I was thrown into a whole new place with an entirely different culture. There is a load of new phrases and routines that I’m unfamiliar with, but as with any new place, I’m sure I’ll pick it up quickly. 
            I’m optimistic about this teaching placement and am excited to try out teaching here.  My teacher, Lisa, is really impressive; she is incredibly intelligent and I know I’m going to learn a lot from her.  The students have also really impressed me with their polite manners and deep analysis and reflection.
            One thing I noticed right away was how firm the teachers are with their students.  The whole school culture is pretty laid back but the students are held to high standards.  They tell the students exactly what they are doing wrong and give praises for work well done.  I like this approach because the expectations are clear and the children are held to the standard, resulting in high achievement.  I think this combo of firm discipline and a laid back school atmosphere works really well together.  The day is enjoyable yet efficient and productive in terms of learning.
            Although I was still very tired today, the day went fast and pleasant. Because their lessons are so integrated, they are engaging and relatable.  I was pleasantly surprised by the rigor of work they have the students doing.  The teachers ask challenging questions (something I love to do) and teach them to be independent—both academically and socially.  “Sensible” is a word commonly used to describe the type of behavior and decisions the children should be making, and I love how much the school challenges the students to act according to this word.
            On a lighter note, the day was also very enjoyable because I got to listen to British accents all day long.  The staff and students are all very well-spoken and extremely polite.  Their vocabularies are impressively extensive and they speak with confidence and clarity.  Again, the high standards for the children produce impressive results, and I hope to learn a bit from this also on how to be more articulate and communicate as effectively as I’ve seen them do.  Maybe I’ll even pick up an accent while I’m at it!

Miss Mary Ellen and Miss Katie gettin' their teacher faces on.


Brittani Matzke

1 comment:

  1. So great that you are finally in your classrooms! Happy beginnings to all of you.

    ReplyDelete