Seven weeks. Seven student teachers. Follow us (Drew, Julia, Chris, Brittani, Mary Ellen, Katie, and Sara) on our journey from Minnesota to Southern Spain, where we will complete our second student teaching assignment!

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

School Days

    It is hard for me to believe that I have already been in Spain for a week! It has been such a rush learning how to navigate my new city, trying out my Spanish, and learning how the Sotogrande International School (SIS) works. This school is inquiry based and I am quickly learning how differently they teach here. I am working in a wonderful PYP2 class which is equivalent to a first grade class in the U.S. My students are currently working on a 6 week long unit of inquiry based around celebrations. They have three central questions which guides all of their learning and subjects are easily integrated. It has been challenging for me to learn how to teach in this new style, but after a week of observing, assisting and jumping in to teaching I feel like I am finally starting to understand the school philosophy! The end of my first week ended by staying after school on Friday to participate in the school’s fireworks celebration. I was blown away by the concert that was put on by the students and staff. Students of all ages performed songs that they choose or that they wrote. It was such an incredible time to get to know some of the teachers and students better. I feel like I am quickly becoming a part of the school community thanks to the welcoming staff and students.

-Katie Kaderlik




A display in my classroom of student work from their previous unit of inquiry.

No comments:

Post a Comment