Seven weeks. Seven student teachers. Follow us (Drew, Julia, Chris, Brittani, Mary Ellen, Katie, and Sara) on our journey from Minnesota to Southern Spain, where we will complete our second student teaching assignment!

Sunday, November 21, 2010

What Are Your Treasures?


My Year 2 classroom is full of bubbly 6 and 7 year olds eager to learn.  Everyday they enter the classroom with loads of energy and curiosity.  Not only are these children learning their letters and numbers but they are also learning how to become proper and productive citizens of the world.  In a PYP2 classroom, students follow 6 Golden Rules.  Our Golden Rules are: we are gentle, we are kind and helpful, we listen, we are honest, we learn, and we look after property.  In my classroom we reward the children with a treasure when we catch them following these Golden Rules.  These treasures are anything from plastic frogs, bracelets, glass stars, to seashells.  My students see these treasures as if they were gold. When they hear their name being called, hear recognition for their hard work, and see the special treasure placed into the jar, their face lights up.  This form of positive reinforcement encourages them to continue using their Golden Rules while others  students follow suit.  It is amazing how something so simple can mean so much to the students.  I see them actively practicing their Golden Rules during the day and striving to do the best they can do. If the treasure jar is full on Friday afternoon students are rewarded for their good behavior with Golden Time. During Golden Time students are able to play games and create artwork because of their hard work during the week.  Students work all week long to receive this special time and their excitement shows when their last treasure is placed in the jar.
            As teacher I receive positive reinforcement and treasures all day long. The treasures I put into my jar are not plastic frogs and seashells but rather the interactions and experiences I share with my students during the day.  My special treasures include seeing students smile, hearing their laugher, and witnessing them enjoy the learning process. I love observing students’ faces light up when they are proud of the work they accomplished.  Nothing compares to witnessing a student finally understand a concept and seeing students’ creativity and imagination come through their work. Treasures are everywhere you turn when you are a teacher. My jar of treasures overflow everyday and when I reflect about each treasure I receive I am reminded of why I want to be a teacher; to make a difference in a student’s life and pass on a love for learning.
After reflecting upon the treasures I receive as a teacher I started to think about the treasures I have put in my jar while living in Spain.  I have realized the joy of a laid-back life style and having the ability to soak in the culture and views that surround me.  The mistakes we have made while using public transportation and the lessons we have learned while traveling are some of my most memorable treasures. I have found enjoyment in being able to run along the beach with the sand between my toes.  Café con leche and Nutella are my best tasting treasures.  But the majority of my treasures come from the places I have seen and the people I have met. The amount of treasures I will receive here in Spain as a teacher and traveler will be endless and the memories I form will never be forgotten. 
Objective for today’s lesson: don’t forget to look at the treasures you put into your jar everyday!

Love from, Mary Ellen Korby

No comments:

Post a Comment