Seven weeks. Seven student teachers. Follow us (Drew, Julia, Chris, Brittani, Mary Ellen, Katie, and Sara) on our journey from Minnesota to Southern Spain, where we will complete our second student teaching assignment!

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Lists


I’ve found that teachers, by and large, are list-makers.  I wouldn’t consider myself to be an extremist on the list-maker scale, but some days I do feel like my desk is covered in lists of various kinds.  Some of my lists include:
1)      Emails to send
2)      Items to buy at the store
3)      Papers to copy
4)      Children to collect homework from
5)      Books to read
6)      Ideas for lessons
7)      People to call
8)      Concepts to teach
9)      Goals
10)  Things to Google

Most of these lists are relatively insignificant, but I never seem to go a day without making at least one or two.  Last week, however, I did manage to create a few lists worth sharing.

List #1: Why SIS students are so motivated
1)      The curriculum is full of engaging topics where the students are personally invested.
2)      The students are given the expectation to be independent, which builds confidence and competence.
3)      There are high expectations for the standard of work.  Those who produce excellent work are put on display and those who don’t are required to do it again. Low effort is simply not accepted.
4)      The students work hard and produce products to be proud of.  Both give them the feeling of success, which they strive to feel again.

List #2: My goals for the rest of student teaching
1)      Challenge the class—always keep them growing.
2)      Model how I want them to act.  Teach with integrity and expect the same of my students.
3)      Don’t worry so much about petty misbehaviors; instead, focus on moral and character development.
4)      Enjoy myself!

The other couple lists I made are a product of my travel bug:

List #3: Places I still want to go while in Spain
1)      Sevilla
2)      Madrid
3)      Morocco
4)      The Picasso museum in Malaga
5)      La Cañada (again!)
6)      Jazz Pub in Estepona
7)      Breakfast in the port
8)      Walk along the beach (many more times)

List #4: Places I never want to go again. *Disclaimer: many inside jokes to follow.
1)      Casares (“It’s only about a 20 minute walk!”)
2)      Algeciras by bus
3)      Carrefore (an overrated Spanish Wal-Mart all the way across town)
4)      ANY part of a street that isn’t painted with white stripes

Notice, list #4 is half as long as list #3. This can be attributed to the fantastic trip I’m having!

Until next time, happy list-making!
Brittani

No comments:

Post a Comment